CYA Job Postings
Click here to submit your employment opportunity to the CYA Job Posting webpage. Job postings are to be emailed in a word document and should include the position start date.
Advantage Boating - Combined Senior Maintenace Role & CANSail 3 & 4 Instructor
Start Date: Monday, April 15, 2013
Advantage Boating was established in 1992 as the Ottawa Sailing School. Its founding mission was then, and remains today, "to provide the best in boating education and on-the-water adventure". We offer the highest quality sailing programs; our commitment to excellence has led us to become well respected in the sail training industry.
This unique full-time position combines both maintenance and teaching roles.
Reporting to the Director of the sailing school, the ideal candidate will be at least 18 years old and be familiar with both dinghies and keelboats.
As a CANSail instructor, you will be responsible for providing sailing instruction to groups of adults during evening hours.
As leader for the maintenance role, you will be responsible for keeping a fleet of 22-24 foot keelboats in good repair. This includes preparing boats for launch, rigging them, and hauling the boats (winterizing) at the end of the season.
Primary responsibilities include:
1. Oversee the maintenance of the school's fleet & equipment
- • Manage a maintenance schedule for school boats and equipment, including assisting with launch and haul-out, boat repositioning and related tasks
- • Oversee and manage school equipment to ensure all school equipment meets latest standards of safety
2. Provide sailing instruction to young adults up to CANSail level 4
- • Deliver outstanding on-the-water and shore side training, while meeting the individual needs of students and their progressions through the course material.
- • Work closely with other instructors, and the Sailing Director to ensure level of quality that Advantage Boating has become known for.
- • Effective communication and direction to instill the love of the sport with all participants.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- • Minimum 5 years' sailing experience in a variety of boats
- • Minimum 3 years experience as a dinghy instructor teaching youth or/and adults
- • Minimum 3 years experience / familiarization with maintaining boats
Skills & Qualifications
- • CANSail Certified Instructor - certified to teach on dinghies. up to CANSail level 4
- • Standard/Emergency first aid with CPR “C”
- • Current Boat Rescue or equivalent
- • Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card
- • Knowledge of basic boat maintenance including being familiar with launching and hauling small keelboats
- • Driver’s license to be able to drive company van
- • Some computer skills including use of Microsoft Office Suite considered an asset
- • Racing experience on dinghies/keelboats considered an asset
- • Excellent organizational, team management and communication skills
- • A passion for the sport, and teaching others (adults)
This combined position is a full time/seasonal position beginning April 15, and will culminate mid October, with possibility of extension.
The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and certifications. Also please note, only those being considered for the position will be contacted.
Please forward your application with accompanying cover letter and references to:
3rd Floor Britannia Yacht Club
2777 Cassels St.
Canada K2B 6N6
E-Mail us at: