ROC - Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to provide the course?
- CYA will recognize and authorize any registered and qualified instructors to teach and conduct examinations for the ROC(M)
- Instructors must have, as a minimum, their own ROC(M) with DSC Endorsement and current Blue Level CYA Instructor’s or Learn to Cruise Basic Instructor’s certification.
How do instructors confirm eligibility?
- Instructors who are interested in providing the courses should contact CYA to confirm their status as a CPS accredited instructor.
- CYA will provide CPS with names of all qualified and registered instructors.
What should an instructor do to become eligible?
- CYA Instructors who do not have the required ROC(M) prerequisite should contact a qualified CYA instructor. Click here for a list of instructors offering this course
What materials are required to teach the course and where are they available?
- Eligible Instructors are required to purchase a Maritime Radio Course Manual (including the Instructors Guide CD) and all student Course Manuals (including interactive student CD), tests, answer sheets, marking keys, application forms and any other related materials.
- All materials are available through the CYA.
Where are the completed course materials to be sent?
- Instructors send all completed test materials plus a $20 processing fee for each exam directly to CPS, for confirmation and issue of cards to successful candidates.
What price can the instructors charge for the materials?
- CYA instructors may set their own costs, but are advised that the cost should be relatively comparable to CPS courses.
- Instructor and student packages are available in the CYA Online Store.
How can I be more involved in the development of this course?
- CYA instructors who are interested in participating on the Joint Curriculum Committee should submit their intentions to CYA for consideration by CPS.