CYA Job Postings
Click here to submit your employment opportunity to the CYA Job Posting webpage. Job postings are to be emailed in a word document and should include the position start date.
Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron - Head Sail Training Program Instructor 2013
Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Start Date: Wednesday, December 31, 1969
I. Position: Head Sail Training Program Instructor
II. Job Summary:
The Head Instructor will work with the Sail Training instructing staff, the Sail Training Vice Commodore and Club Manager to implement the Sail Training programs. The Head Instructor will work with the Head race Team Coach, Sail Training Vice Commodore, and Club Manager in determining the staffing and equipment needs for the various programs.
- Conduct and supervise sailing classes at all levels
- Conduct adult clinics when offered
- Maintain a detailed log of Learn to Sail equipment.
- Oversee and assist with the preparation of equipment for the season.
- Assist in the maintenance of Sail Training equipment between May and October. Work with the Sail Training Vice Commodore and the Waterfront & Boatyard Foreman to ensure that program assets are properly maintained.
- Ensure proper maintenance of equipment and the storage of equipment at the end of the season.
- May be asked to attend specific Sail Training committee meetings.
- Work with Sail Training Vice Commodore to assign instructors to teaching roles.
- Manage the enrolment process and maintain enrolment information (class lists; medical and contact information, lunch slips) for Sail Training participants
- Work with the Sail Training Vice Commodore to continually improve communication between clubhouse and sailing school facilities.
- Recommend and implement approved strategies to raise member and non-member awareness of the programs available to them.
- Supervise Sail Training staff including providing feedback to instructors and reporting that feedback to the General Manager and Sail Training Vice Commodore where necessary.
- Assist with instructor development, program development and delivery including preparation and approval of lesson plans of Sail Training instructors.
- Ensure Sail Training staff are teaching current CYA standards and recording student achievements, including CYA checklists, mid-term reports and certificates as required.
- Ensure Safety is paramount in the delivery of programs and the participants
- Assist in team development including team-building activities and regular staff meetings.
- Aid in resolving parent and student concerns. Where necessary include instructors, Sail Training Vice Commodore and/or General Manager in resolution of these incidents.
- Prepare year-end report to Sail Training Vice Commodore.
- Provide recommendations for the Sail Training annual awards.
- Ensure that RNSYS policies and procedures are adhered to by all participants and report any major infractions to the Sail Training Vice Commodore and/or the General Manager.
- The Head Instructor will be responsible to the General Manager and Sail Training Vice Commodore.
- Additionally, the Head Sailing Instructor participates with in a variety of Club activities carried out under the direction of the Club Manager. Such activities include, but are not limited to assistance in Club social events, including weekends and Club opening and closing responsibilities
IV. Reports to: General Manager & Sail Training Vice Commodore
V. Supervises: Sail Training Instructors
• Current first aid and Advanced CPR Certification
• Minimum level achieved of CYA Bronze Sail Instructor
• Minimum of three years experience as an instructor
Strong personal sailing skills; active participation in sailing competition and experience in directing and teaching others; demonstrate the ability to organize and manage a comprehensive competency based sailing program
How To Apply: