CANSail Instruction Panel
Canada's Learn to Sail Programming is being regulated and developed by the CANSail Instruction Panel. This panel of 4-6 experts is appointed by Sail Canada on a regional basis and reports to Sail Canada's Training and Certification Committee. This group is responsible for the appropriate development of Learn-to Sail programs and CANSail Instructor training programming in alignment with contexts in the National Coaching Certification Program's Instruction Stream.
The CANSail Instruction Panel
Established September 2012
Jen Braem (BC)
David Telles-Langdon (MB)
Former chair of Sail Canada's Learn-to-Sail Commitee, and level 5 sailing coach with the original NCCP, David brings a wealth of expertise in Instructor training to this Panel. He is an Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Kinesiology and Applied Health at the Univeristy of Winnipeg, the Director of the National Coaching Institute (NCI) in Manitoba, and a Chartered Professional Coach (Ch.P.C.). David was past Coach to the Canadian Sailing Team (Soling) and Provincial Sailing Teams in Ontario, Manitoba & BC, and a Sail Canada Official in Judging and Race Management. He has served on two Advisories to Federal Ministry - the Panel on Healthy Children and Youth, the Panel for the Children's Fitness Tax Credit.
Jason Hearst (ON)
A Sail Canada Learning Facilitator, Jason is presently an avid match racer and former member of the Canadian Youth Sailing Team. When not sailing, Jason is an aerospace engineer. He is excited to be contributing to this panel with his sailor training, athlete coaching, and racing experince, and his theoretical knowledge.
Lennie Liscio (QC)
Lesley Taylor (NS)
Ryan Kelly (DND-Sea Cadets)
CANSail Program Feedback Summary 2012 - This document summarizes the feedback received from a survey conducted in September 2012, the feedback was reviewed and compiled by the CANSail Panel.
Proposal - Professional Development model for Instructors and Coaches - Panel referred to this document to initiate plans for Advancement programming for Instructors (Meeting of October 26th 2012).
- Receive direction and support from Sail Canada's Training & Certification Committee
Report to Sail Canada's Training & Certification Committee
Meet (possibly virtually by Skype) 4 or more times per year - utilizing agendas and providing minutes
Meet annually at Sail Canada AGM & Conference to carry out Programs Review / Update / Development and Deliver annual report
Deliver annual CANSail Training Symposium
Deliver national Technical CANSail Learning Facilitator Clinic (1 or more every 2 years)
- Evaluate new and re-certifying Learning Facilitators in their regions - annually
Train LF evaluators in each province (Master Evaluators) - on an as needed basis
Receive and review feedback on programming and delivery from Instructor candidates, and LF candidates
NCCP MLF Trained (1 per year to be trained starting in 2012)
3 year appointment
Appointment / re-appointment by Sail Canada's Training & Certification Committee
Members of the CANSail Instruction Panel are:
1) experienced Learning Facilitators and / or Instructors of Learn to Sail Programming;
2) committed to the national initiatives and objectives of Sail Canada, following the Long Term Sailor Development model through the CANSail program and in association with the Coaching Association of Canada and Sport Canada
3) willing and available to attend the CANSail Training Symposium at Sail Canada AGM & Conference
4) willing and available to potentially be selected by Sail Canada to attend NCCP's MLF training session
5) willing and available to conduct training and evaluation of CANSail learning facilitators
6) willing and available to carry out the roles and responsibilities of the panel
Members of the Panel will be selected by Sail Canada's Executive Director in association with the Chair of the Training and Certification Committee.