CYA Job Postings
Click here to submit your employment opportunity to the CYA Job Posting webpage. Job postings are to be emailed in a word document and should include the position start date.
Sail Georgian Bay - Sailing School Manager
Sail Georgian Bay
Meaford Harbour , Ontario
Start Date: Monday, July 01, 2013
Sail Georgian Bay is an association of active sailors and people who support the development of future sailors for the Canadian Great Lakes. It operates full-time during July and August, with some administrative and maintenance activities taking place during the remaining months of the year. It trains around 150 students per season, age 8 to 18, from CYA Level 1 to 4. We are looking for a Manager for the sailing season 2013.
The successful candidate will manage on-site the daily operation of Sail Georgian Bay's school in Meaford over the summer season in accordance with the policies, procedures, directives and objectives of the Board of Directors.
The incumbent will achieve the goals and purpose of the role by:
1. Becoming aware of and integrating the policies, procedures, directives and objectives of the Board of Directors into an annual operation plan and budget;
2. Ensuring that all staff members and volunteers are oriented and trained to the expectations of the
Board of Directors;
3. Managing and motivating the school’s team of certified sailing instructors and volunteers according to the corporation's policies, management best practices and Ontario Employment Standards Act such that the school’s operations and administration achieve the results anticipated by the Board;
4. Controlling learning and administrative activities such that the results achieved are consistent with the policies, procedures, directives and objectives of the Board of Directors, and with CYA curriculum guidelines;
5. Developing, implementing and maintaining a communication plan to deal with the various stakeholders of the school such as members, parents, students, volunteers, staff members and members of the public;
6. Developing and implementing a lifecycle maintenance plan for the school’s boats, equipment and teaching props, providing recommendation to the Board on items requiring replacement;
7. Managing maintenance and upkeep activities for the school’s capital inventory and fleet;
8. Liaising with and securing the support of the necessary partners and service providers required to maintain the operational capacity of the school;
9. Implementing our Health & Safety, security and emergency plan and related procedures and systems they relate to the operation of a sailing school;
10. Administer the policies, procedures and directives of the Board of Directors to ensure that all government and other obligations of the Board of Directors are fulfilled in a timely and required manner;
11. Prepare and present weekly reports to the Board of Directors to render accounts on the running of the school;
12. Other duties as assigned from time to time.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
• Certification (PCOC) in the operation of a boat;
• A post-secondary education in a related field;
• Experience in a community service organization dealing with volunteers, students, parents and a
Board of Directors;
• Knowledge of sailing theory, principles, procedures, techniques, equipment and regulations;
• Knowledge of management approaches, techniques and systems;
• Knowledge of administrative requirements for a Canadian non-profit organization;
• Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and manage staff members and students;
• Proven ability to be accountable to an elected Board of Directors for a delegated budget, assets and staff;
• Proven organization skills
• Ability to work independently with limited supervision and to deal successfully with ambiguity; Certification in the Canadian Yachting Association curriculum delivery to CYA Bronze V or CANSail
4 an asset;
• Experience as a sailor on fresh water a definite asset;
• Ability to travel locally using one’s own mean of transportation;
As you will be working with teenagers, children and non-profit organization funds, the successful incumbent will be required to undergo a background and credit check in order to be confirmed in the position.
Please submit your candidacy with relevant information to: before January 31st, 2013 in order to be considered for the opportunity. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. No call or agencies please.